HOMEMADE LINGUINE WITH WHISKEY CREAM SAUCE
Tuck this little gem away, trust us there will come a day when you need it. This is what’s for dinner if you’ve had a day that’s gone completely sideways. It’s a dish that will stabilize the rickety planks you’ve been walking for the last eight hours. It’s comfort food at its best – Pasta & Whiskey.
Homemade Linguine Noodles
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2-3 Tablespoons water (more if needed)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Create a well in the flour mixture.
- Crack the eggs into the flour well. with a fork, begin mixing the eggs and the flour mixture until a stiff dough begins to form. Add the water and continue to incorporate until a ball forms.
- Place the ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands for 5 minutes and pasta is smooth and free of air pockets.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough until you reached desired thinness. Remember, if your dough wants to spring back, allow it to rest in between rolling sessions.
- Once the dough has been rolled out, trim the edges and roll it up in a jelly roll shape. Slice the roll into small rounds based on the width of noodle you desire. After each slice, unroll the cut pasta noodle and lay flat.
- Cook your fresh pasta in a large stock pot of boiling water for approximately 4 minutes, or until al dente. (Tip: Your pasta is done when it begins to float to the top of the water). Drain and serve with a simple sauce, such as the whiskey cream sauce shared below.
Whiskey Cream Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons whiskey
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the brown sugar and whiskey to the saucepan and cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Whisk in the flour and stir for 2 minutes or until well incorporated.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, salt and cracked black pepper. Stir until heated through then serve over fresh pasta noodles.
Now sit down and pour what’s left of the whiskey into your favorite tumbler, you have just reclaimed yourself from the chaotic waist-bin of daily life. Feels good to be a survivor, doesn’t it.