It’s okay to get a little crazy on the weekend. Just make sure you can get through Monday.
We’ve all been there. Your head is pounding, your vision blurring and that stomach of yours is churning. All thanks to a memorable weekend. Should you drag yourself into work looking like the ghost of whiskey shots past? Or, should you raise suspicions by calling in sick? We say neither. Part of being an adult is learning how to manage an occassional hangover. Here are some tips on how to overcome the effects of too many cocktails and a hard night spent on the bathroom floor.
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration goes hand in hand with a hangover. Ethanol depletes the body’s stores of water by causing increased urine production. It’s advisable to drink a lot and rehydrate yourself.
- Have some fruit or fruit juice. Consuming fructose will help your body burn the remaining alcohol faster. Fructose helps to release the converted glucose “rush”.
- Take a warm bath. A hangover leaves your body aching, a hot shower or warm bath will help ease your alcohol headache.
- Avoid smoking. Scientists say that smoking increases the effects of a hangover. It will further irritate your stomach. Keep away from cigarettes completely.
- Make some eggs and toast. Protein and carbohydrates are a good source of recovery nutrients. Eggs contain cysteine, which breaks down toxins. Whole grains contain magnesium, which alcohol depletes.
- Take a vitamin B complex tablet. Vitamin B is helpful in fighting the adverse effects of a hangover by removing toxins from the bloodstream.
- Get some fresh air. Fresh air can really help you sober up by increasing your metabolic rate. Try taking a walk. Making your body work or making it sweat through exercise can release toxins.
There you have it, helpful tips for for surviving a hangover – or at the very least, fooling your coworkers into thinking you went to bed at a reasonable hour the night before.
As always, we recommend drinking responsibly. And we recommend drinking your fine liquors with our handcrafted whiskey stones, they chill without diluting.