There is only one thing that makes us more happy than an apple pie, and that’s an apple hand pie.
Sure, it’s kind of confusing, because a hand pie is still technically a pie. But these little handheld babies deserve a special category all their own. What could be better than a whole pie that fits in the palm of your hand? They’re even better than traditional larger pies, because you never have to share, and seeing as how this recipe has bourbon in it, that’s a real plus.
If you’re not convinced of how superior hand pies are to regular pies, we’re sure this Apple Bourbon Cinnamon Hand Pie recipe will win you over:
Apple Bourbon Cinnamon Hand Pies
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup cold unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cold, whole milk Greek Yogurt
- 1 beaten Egg, for brushing crust
Ingredients for Apple Bourbon Cinnamon Filling:
- 4 large Apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup White Granular Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Instructions for Crust:
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add butter, mix with hands, butter should be pea-sized pieces.
- Stir in Greek yogurt. On a lightly floured work surface, bring it together with a few gentle kneads.
- Shape dough into an 8″ tube, then roll it into an 8″ x 12″ rectangle. Dust both sides of dough with flour. Fold in three, using the 8″ side.
- Flip dough over and roll it again into an 8″ x 12″ rectangle. Fold in three again.
- Wrap dough in saran wrap; chill for at least 30 minutes.
Instructions for Apple Bourbon Cinnamon Filling:
- Peel and core apples. Dice into tiny pieces, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Allow butter to brown into a light golden color – about 1 minute.
- Add apples to hot butter, sprinkle with salt and sugars. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened – about 8 minutes.
- Mix in cinnamon and bourbon, continue cooking until apples are sticky – 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch, mix well, allow mixture to thicken – about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Instructions for Assembly:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Roll dough into 16″ x 16″ square. Cut into sixteen 4″ squares.
- Divide apple filling among 8 squares, using 2 tablespoons each. Brush with beaten egg along all edges.
- Cut vents into remaining eight pastry squares, use decorative method of your choice.
- Place vented tops on filled bottoms, press edges with tines of fork to seal.
- Brush tops of hand pies with remaining beaten egg, sprinkle with white sugar.
- Transfer pies to prepared baking sheet, bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- We suggest serving these with a tipple of bourbon, chilled with one of our handcrafted whiskey stones. Wink, wink.